How Does Alprostadil Injection 500 mcg Work?
Alprostadil Injection works by relaxing the blood vessels in the penis. This allows the blood to flow into the penis on sexual stimulation. Subsequently, it becomes easier to achieve and maintain an erection for sexual intercourse.
The recommended dosage of Alprostadil will be decided by your doctor. After initiation, the doctor may gradually increase or decrease the dosage, depending on the results. Do not change the dosage without consulting your doctor.
Alprostadil is usually used as needed before sexual intercourse. After administration, an erection may occur within five to twenty minutes. The erection usually lasts for around thirty to sixty minutes. It is recommended that Alprostadil injection should not be used more than three times per week. There should be a gap of at least 24 hours between uses. Use alprostadil exactly as directed. Do not use it more often than it is prescribed by your doctor.
What if I Overdose?
Seek medical help immediately in case of an overdose. Symptoms of overdose include, but are not limited to, fainting, dizziness, blurred vision, persistent pain in the penis, an erection lasting longer than 6 hours.
Before you Take Alprostadil
Before taking this medication, inform your doctor if you have are allergic to misoprostol, bimatoprost, latanoprost, travoprost, or any other drugs.
- Discuss your medical history in detail with your doctor. Inform your doctor if you or any of your family members has had a blood clot in either legs or lungs. Make sure that your doctor is aware of your underlying medical conditions.
- Do not use alprostadil if you have a penile implant unless prescribed by your doctor.
- Patients with heart or blood pressure disorder should be cautious while receiving the prescription. It is best to receive regular follow-ups as per the doctor’s advice to discuss any symptoms.
- The drug induces dizziness. Consumption of alcohol can make it worse. Do not conduct tasks, such as operating heavy machinery or driving, that require you to remain alert, on this medication.
- In case of surgery, let your doctor know of all the drugs that you are consuming.
- The injection should only be administered by a doctor or a nurse. Do not self-administer unless proper training has been given by the doctor.
- It is important to note that Alprostadil does not prevent pregnancy. Alprostadil is not prescribed if you plan on having sexual intercourse with a pregnant woman or a woman who may become pregnant. A condom barrier is recommended.
- Alprostadil does not prevent the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.
- It is possible that a small amount of bleeding may occur in the area where the medication was administered. There is an increased risk of transmission of blood-borne diseases such as HIV, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C between you and your partner.
While most people who use this medication have not reported any serious side effects, consumption of Alprostadil can cause certain side effects, such as-
- Penile pain
- Increase in the frequency of erections
- Penile disorder
- Peyronie disease
- Muscle spasm
This list is not exhaustive. The side effects may subside after a few days or weeks. If they persist then consult your doctor. In case of any serious side effects, seek medical help immediately.
- Keep the medication in a tightly closed container.
- Keep the container out of children’s or pet’s reach.
- Store it in a refrigerator with a temperature between two degrees celsius to eight degrees celsius.
- Do not freeze.
- Do not store the medication in high temperatures or place it in direct sunlight. This will make it ineffective.
Used needles, syringes, cartridges, vials, etc should not be re-used. Used needles and syringes should be disposed of in a puncture-resistant container. Consult your doctor on the disposal of the container.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How often can you use alprostadil?
Alprostadil injection should not be used more than three times per week. There should be a gap of at least 24 hours between uses.
Are alprostadil injections painful?
Alprostadil infections are not usually painful. However, in case of bruising and swelling at the place of infection, stop immediately. This means that you are injecting the medicine under the skin. Reposition it properly before continuing.
How quickly will alprostadil work?
The medication usually starts working in about fifteen to twenty minutes. Sexual intercourse is recommended after waiting for approximately thirty minutes after administration of the drug.
Are there any special dietary instructions that need to be followed while using alprostadil?
Unless your doctor has asked you to follow a special diet, you can continue your normal diet.
How effective is alprostadil?
Regardless of age, or the cause of ED, alprostadil can help achieve and sustain an erection firm enough for sexual intercourse in approximately 80% of men.
How long are the erections supposed to last?
The erection can last up to an hour and may continue after ejaculation.
In case the erection lasts longer than 4 hours or if it becomes painful, seek immediate medical help. This may be a sign of priapism which can cause permanent damage to the penis.