How it Works
Finpecia 1 mg belongs to the class of medications known as 5-alpha reductase inhibitor. It works by decreasing the amount of a natural body hormone i.e. DHT which leads to an increase in hair regrowth. Men with mild to moderate, but not complete, hair loss can expect to benefit from the use of this drug. Hair growth in other parts of the body is not affected by this medicine.
The dose and duration of the medicine should be taken as per prescription. It must be swallowed as a whole and it is recommended to take the medicine at the same time every day. It should be taken via mouth with or without food. Do not chew, crush, or break the medicine. As this medicine takes a while to act upon the symptoms, you must take this medicine regularly. This medicine is usually well-tolerated, however, it may cause some side effects such as erectile dysfunction, decreased libido, and ejaculation disorder. If you experience any of these side effects, you must visit a doctor.
If you are close to your next dose, skip the dose you missed and take your next dose when you are meant to.
If it is not the time for your next dose, take it as soon as you remember, and then go back to taking your tablet as you would normally.
Do not take a double dose to make up for the dose that you missed.
If you stop taking this medicine, your hair loss problem is most likely to resume.
Some of the major & minor side effects of Finpecia 1 mg tablet are as follows-
- Chills or cold sweats
- Breast tenderness
- Skin rash
- Swelling of face and lips
- Rapid weight gain
- Decreased sexual ability/desire
- Abnormal ejaculation
- Runny Nose
- Abdominal pain
Keep the tablets in the pack until it is time to take them. If you take the tablets out of the pack, they may get spoilt. Avoid putting the tablets in another container as you may face the risk of getting them mixed up with other medications.
It is recommended to keep Finpecia 1 mg in a cool, dry place where the temperature stays below 30°C. Do not store it in the bathroom or near a sink.
Keep these tablets out of reach and sight of children.
Before consuming finasteride, tell your doctor if you have any allergies. This medicine may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other related problems. Talk to your doctor at length about this. Make sure you discuss your medical history with your doctor, especially, if you have any history of prostate cancer, liver disease, urinary problems, and infections.
This medicine should not be consumed by children.
This drug can be absorbed through the skin. So, if the film coating of the tablet is broken or the tablet has been crushed, it should not be touched or handled by a woman who is pregnant. Furthermore, exposing a male infant to finasteride can result in abnormalities of the genitals.
This medicine must not be used by women, especially if they are pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Pregnancy – This medicine is not recommended for use in pregnant women or women who are planning to become pregnant due to the risk of potentially harmful effects on the fetus.
- Breastfeeding – This medicine is not recommended for consumption by breastfeeding women.
- Liver disease – This medicine should be used carefully by patients with a history of liver diseases due to the increased risk of liver injury.
- Finpecia is meant exclusively for consumption by male patients. It is not meant to be consumed by women and children.
- Patients should avoid any cosmetic hair treatment while on Finpecia.
All drugs interact differently from person to person. You must check all the possible interactions with your doctor before starting any medicine.
- Interaction with Alcohol – Interaction with alcohol is unknown. It is advisable to consult your doctor before consumption.
- Food Interactions – Food interactions with Finpecia 1 mg are yet to be established.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How long does it take for this medicine to take effect?
The effect of this medicine can be observed in 3 months in hair loss patients and 6 months in Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) patients.
- How long do the effects of this medicine last?
The time until this medicine remains active in the body is not clinically established.
- Is it safe to consume alcohol while taking this medicine?
Interaction with alcohol is unknown. Please consult your doctor before consuming alcohol if you have been prescribed to take Finpecia 1 mg.
- Can this medicine be taken during pregnancy?
This medicine is not recommended for consumption by pregnant women.
- Can this medicine be taken while breastfeeding?
This medicine is not recommended for consumption by women who are breastfeeding.