How Fincar 5 mg Works
Fincar 5 mg Tablet is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor. It contains the ingredient Finasteride that works by blocking the enzyme 5-alpha reductase, thereby preventing the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). This leads to increased hair regrowth and a decreased prostate size.
Take this medicine as advised by your doctor. Swallow it as a whole. Do not chew, crush, or break it. Fincar 5 mg tablet may be taken with or without food, but it is better to take it at a fixed time.
Consume this tablet as instructed by your doctor. Do not take larger amounts than prescribed. For the purpose of hair growth, this medicine is recommended only for men. It may take about 3 months for you to see the hair growth. If you stop the treatment, hair loss will occur again. You should not stop taking this medicine without informing your doctor.
If you forget to take Fincar 5 mg, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose. Do not take two doses at the same time.
Seek medical treatment or contact your doctor in case of an overdose.
Some major & minor side effects of Fincar 5 mg tablet are as follows-
- Chills or cold sweats
- Breast tenderness
- Swelling of face and lips
- Rapid weight gain
- Decreased interest in sexual intercourse
- Abnormal ejaculation
- Runny Nose
- Abdominal pain
- Allergic Reaction
- Skin Rash
- Chest Pain
- Edema (Swelling)
- Abnormal hair growth on a woman’s face & body
Store the medicine at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and light. Keep the medicine out of children’s reach. Do not take this medicine after the expiry date.
- If you have any mood alterations, consult your doctor immediately. Mood alterations have been reported as a major side effect.
- It is recommended not to donate blood while you are on this medication and for at least four weeks after you stop consuming this drug.
- Inform your doctor if you observe any change in your breast tissue like pain, lumps, nipple discharge, or breast enlargement as these might be the symptoms of breast cancer.
- This drug is not recommended for children and adolescents.
- Always inform your doctor about the ongoing medications or the ones which you have taken in the past, including over-the-counter medicines, herbal medicines, etc.
- Avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or a lying down position as you may feel dizzy.
- Pregnancy – This medicine is not recommended for consumption by pregnant women or even those who are planning to become pregnant due to the risk of any harmful effect on the fetus.
- Breastfeeding- This medicine is not recommended for consumption by breastfeeding women.
- Liver Disease – This medicine should be used carefully by patients with a history of liver diseases due to the increased risk of liver injury.
- Driving – It is safe to drive if you are consuming this drug.
- Kidney Function – There seems to be no relation between renal impairment and consuming this drug.
All drugs interact differently from person to person. You must check all the possible interactions with your doctor before starting any medicine.
- Interaction with Alcohol – Interaction with alcohol is unknown. It is advisable to consult your doctor before consumption.
- Food Interactions – Food interactions haven’t been studied yet. Discuss possible interactions with your doctor.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can Fincar 5 mg tablet cause impotence?
Yes, this drug is known to cause impotence as it decreases the testosterone levels. It is testosterone that regulates the sex drive in men. Thus, low levels of testosterone can lead to a lack of sex drive and erectile dysfunction.
Are the side effects of Fincar 5 mg permanent?
No, side effects like decreased sexual desire and inability to develop or maintain erection usually disappear after the medication is stopped.
Does Fincar 5 mg affect sperm?
Fincar 5 mg even in low doses is known to affect the sperm of men.
For how long does Fincar 5 mg tablet stay in your system?
This medication stays for about 3-4 days in your body. However, this can vary from individual to individual.
At what time of the day should I take the Fincar tablet?
You can take Fincar 5 mg tablet at any time of the day but try to take it at the same time each day.
When do I need to seek medical help?
If you think there was an overdose, call your doctor right away. If there are signs of a very bad reaction such as wheezing, chest tightness, fever, itching, bad cough, blue or gray skin color, seizures, or swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat, any rash, etc., seek medical help immediately.
Can I take Finasteride with other medicines?
You must always inform your doctor if you are taking any other medicines, such as herbal tonics, supplements, and medicines that you buy without a prescription before taking Finasteride.
Are there any alternatives to Fincar 5 mg?
There are other drugs available to treat the same conditions. Some may be better suited to you than others. Consult your doctor about other drug options that may work for you.